Sunday, November 18, 2007

Wishing you luck.....


Sunday, November 18, 2007

Current mood: scared

Let me just start off by saying I truly appreciate everyone wishing me well with my upcoming surgery. I love my family and all my friends and I know they mean well, but what exactly does it mean when someone says….I wish you luck.

What is luck? To me I always thought luck was something you needed when you were going against the odds.

This past Friday was my last day at work for awhile shall we say. As I was leaving and saying my “good-byes” to everyone, that same phrase kept coming up….good luck with everything or good luck with your surgery.

Do I need luck with my surgery? Am I going against the odds? I’m starting to freak out!

Here is a little history about myself for those of you who haven’t read my other blogs. I was diagnosed with breast cancer on March 8, 2007. I just finished my chemo on October 2nd and I am scheduled to have my surgery this coming Wednesday, November 21st….yes the day before Thanksgiving….how crappy is that! I am having a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.

I have such a wonderful family, see I just came home from having “Thanksgiving” and when I left today, everyone was wishing me “good luck” with my surgery. Which lead me to this blog….

OK, maybe I do need luck….I did pick a pretty complicated reconstruction. I opted to have what is called a TRAM reconstruction…..and with out getting too technical, it is when they take your own tissue from your belly to create your breasts.

The surgery is supposed to take 12 hours….yes I’m going to be under anesthesia for that long…..do I need luck with that?

I mean HELL, I’ve been diagnosed with cancer…..I think luck isn’t exactly on my side…..maybe I do need that luck after all.

I know sometimes we are put in awkward situations and don’t know what to say. I’m not really sure what I would say to someone in my shoes…. I think I would wish them well, but luck, I’m not sure about…..

No comments: